Monday, July 20, 2020

Nothing But a Blip

7/14/20 Mt. Rainier from Maple Leaf Park

I’m not a parent anxiously wondering whether I have to send my kids to a classroom this fall. I don’t have elderly parents in quarantined facilities that prevent me from visiting. I don’t have health conditions that make me more vulnerable to COVID-19. I don’t even have to go to work and put myself at risk every day.

Yet sometimes I think about all the things I can’t do anymore and start feeling sorry for myself (and for the wretched state of our country). That’s when I walk up to Maple Leaf Park early on a clear morning. I know that seeing Mt. Rainier will give me a needed pop upside my head. She will let me know that during all the millennia she’s seen, many have suffered far worse than I have, and many more will suffer worse in the future. What we are going through now is nothing but a miniscule blip in the vast universe of time and space.

4 comments:

  1. Great sketch of Mt. Rainier, and thanks for the uplifting words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! Mt. Rainier lifts my spirits whenever I see her... I wanted to pass that along!

      Delete
  2. Certain places give us a definite lift to our spirits, so thank your for sharing yours. Yes, what we are going through is just a blip...but it is our blip and sometimes so hard to deal with. I know we will get through this but sometimes it seems nearly impossible. I need a trip to the beach...in person...to reset my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will get through this. I hope you can get to the beach soon... I can tell from your sketches there that it's a special place for you.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...