Saturday, July 4, 2020

Drizzle

6/30/20 backhoe waiting for the landscaping to begin

Clouds and drizzle in the morning, some clearing in the afternoon: That’s been our typical weather pattern lately. As a Seattle native, I know that summer doesn’t begin around here until after July 4 (many of my childhood 4th of July memories are of watching fireworks while wearing a parka or a raincoat), so we’ll see what tomorrow brings. In the meantime, I still take my daily walks through the ‘hood, rain or shine, and sketching is my reward.

A few days ago I filled the last page of this Field Notes Expedition notebook, which I began in early 2017. The first several pages were tested heavily with a variety of media to see what would work best on its waterproof Yupo paper, which is made of slick, toothless plastic. While some pens will write on its dry pages, not many will work on wet pages. Pencils work best, wet or dry, and I especially enjoy using soft graphite – it’s as rich and dark as a marker!

Anticipating rain, I took this Expedition with me to the Women’s March that first year (but luckily, I didn’t have to use it). It was perfect on a misty day at Cannon Beach. I’ve even used it in the snow.
 
6/30/20 weeping cypress
Although it has taken me three-and-a-half years to fill this little book, I’ve used it more the past few months than I did during the three years prior. As soon as I filled it, I immediately got out a fresh Expedition, ready for the next drizzle.

6/30/20 a Maple Leaf alley


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...