Thursday, November 14, 2019

Shawna Chooses

11/11/19 Shawna (20-min. pose)

As I filled yet another Gage punch card Monday, I thought about how I used to feel in life-drawing sessions when I first began attending seven years ago. I would return home completely drained and exhausted, partly from the mental focus but also because I was entirely tense the whole three-hour session. Completely out of my comfort zone, I found life drawing stressful.

11/11/19 20-min. pose
I got over it after a few times, and fairly soon after that I started feeling relaxed and “in the zone” during many sessions. Don’t misunderstand – life drawing is still one of the most challenging and mentally focused drawing practices I engage in – but the relaxing part is that I don’t have to do anything to prepare.

Whenever I sketch on location, I have to consider the weather and temperature, the time of day, how to get there and where to park, and once I’m there, I must choose a composition. It’s all part of urban sketching, and I enjoy the process, but there’s always a bit of tension in not knowing exactly what I might sketch or the conditions I might encounter.

At life-drawing sessions, the conditions are completely controlled, including the lighting, and the model chooses the composition. All I have to do is show up and draw whatever he or she presents for two minutes or 20. In that way, I am completely passive, and my only active engagement is in the act of drawing. I wouldn’t want all my drawing to be this way – searching for and discovering my subject and composition are a large part of the fun of urban sketching – but once a week, it’s relaxing to let someone else decide.

11/11/19 20-min. pose
11/11/19 5-min. pose

11/11/19 5-min. pose

4 comments:

  1. Nice collection of life sketches! I find sketching nude models exhausting. It is much easier to do clothed models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish I had more opportunities to sketch costumed models! That's so much fun!

      Delete
  2. Your life sketches are better and better! What instrument did you use for the shading in the 5 minute poses? Inquiring minds want to know ;-)
    Anne (hemmedwithhamsters)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! For the 5-minute pose, I used a Viarco Artgraf water-soluble graphite pencil in 6B. Here's a review of it: https://tina-koyama.blogspot.com/2018/09/product-review-viarco-artgraf-water.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...