Friday, March 18, 2016

Spring is Springing!

3/18/16 brush pen, watercolor, ink
Yesterday was a little too cold to take the top down to Dibble Avenue, but not today! Wearing multiple layers of Polartec, I could still feel the chill in the wind, but I didn’t care – as far as I’m concerned, spring is on its way!

One thing I love about driving a convertible is that I catch more scents around me. Granted, some city smells (like exhaust) aren’t my favorite, but this afternoon was made for my Miata. I rounded the corner on 32nd Avenue Northwest near Sunset Hill Park, and even before I spotted the cherry trees, I could smell their delicate scent. I’d entered fairyland, the block on 33rd where the trees are particularly old and gnarly, thick branches spreading wide across the street. The third and last of my must-see cherry blossom spots each year (the other two are the UW Quad and Dibble), this street was at its absolute peak today.

3/18/16 ink, colored pencils
As I did last year and the year before, I walked slowly up and down the block a few times (on either sidewalk and even the middle of the street – hardly any cars came by), looking for an individual tree to sketch. Each has a distinctive, knobby trunk as broad as a boulder. I picked the one for this years portrait – its branches wide open, welcoming spring.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I can almost imagine riding in your convertible and smelling the cherry blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! Come and take a ride with me! :-)

      - Tina

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...