Friday, April 10, 2015

Composition Lesson from Bardahl

4/20/15 DeAtramentis Document Brown ink, watercolor,
Caran d'Ache Museum colored pencils, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
After leaving Fremont Coffee, I gave Nilda a ride to Ballard, and that gave me an opportunity for a second chance at sketching the old Bardahl Oil sign. I first sketched it earlier this year from a less-than-ideal parking spot behind it, but today I had a better angle of the front.

This sketch was a good lesson in why making thumbnails is useful. Most of the urban sketching instructors I’ve taken classes from advise taking a few minutes to make multiple small thumbnails before committing to a sketch. The purpose of thumbnails is to experiment with various compositions, which can save time if you use them appropriately. Despite that advice, I never make thumbnails. It doesn’t occur to me until too late. Like today.

I wanted to make the Bardahl sign the focal point of my sketch framed by the two utility poles. With not much more than that in mind, I made the sketch below and was almost done before I realized it was a bad composition. I wasn’t interested in the foreground buildings or parked cars, but I had half-heartedly started to put them in . . . why?

4/20/15 DeAtramentis Document Brown ink, watercolor,
Caran d'Ache Museum colored pencils, Zig marker
Abandoning that one, I started over, this time giving more thought to the composition (above). It’s still not the best – someday I’ll get back there on a warm-enough day that I can get out of the car – but at least it’s clear what my focal point is intended to be.

Note to self: Next time, make thumbnails.


2 comments:

  1. Nice sketch of the oil sign. I very rarely make thumbnails for sketches or plein air paintings. On the rare occasions that I do I'm usually glad I did. It is a hard lesson to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The logic of thumbnails is fine. For me they don't fit into a street sketcher approach. My sketchbooks aren't plans for a painting; they are a record of what I see. Different goals I think.

    One thing I do sometimes is use my cell phone to 'plan'. I have the camera give me a grid and I can change the orientation and zoom in/out to look at different scene framing. It's quick, probably not optimal, but it works for me and doesn't get in the way of the spontaneity of my sketching process.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...