Saturday, December 6, 2014

Drawing Jam Jams Again! (Part 1 – Models)

12/6/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi ink,
Zig marker, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
(Iron Man)
Bravo to Gage Academy for putting on another fantastic Drawing Jam! For the 15th year, Gage brought together models (clothed, unclothed and fantastically costumed), demos, still lifes, plaster casts, a table of mirrors for self-portraits, kids’ activities, food trucks, live music and free art materials from local sponsors – all adding up to a 12-hour day of art fun for only $10! I’m sure it’s a ton of work for Gage and all the volunteers who make it happen, but every time I attend I think about how wonderful it would be if Drawing Jam could happen more than just once a year.

Since this was my third Jam (see blog posts from 2012 and 2013), I’ve learned to pace myself to maintain my stamina (I stayed nearly eight hours today) and had a better strategy for getting a good position in the popular costumed-model studio, where I spent most of my time. Not counting the one-minute gesture poses, I managed to get 14 sketches this year. Here are my favorites from the modeled sessions. (Part 2 includes the urban sketches of unwitting “models”!)

12/6/14 Diamine Sargasso Sea ink (Batman, Iron Man and
a couple other comic book characters I'm not familiar with!)
12/6/14 Take-sumi ink, Zig marker
12/6/14 Take-sumi ink

12/6/14 Take-sumi ink

1 comment:

  1. I love the ones of the costumed models. 8 hrs of sketching is a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...