Sunday, June 22, 2014

Alki Beach

6/22/14 Platinum Carbon and Diamine Grey inks, watercolor, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
A huge turnout of the Seattle Urban Sketchers celebrated summer on the day after the solstice with a sketch outing on Alki Beach, and we agreed it couldn’t have been better weather. Sure, some of us had to wear Polartec and hoodies in the morning, but personally, I don’t like to sweat. It was perfect!

6/22/14 Platinum Carbon, Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa and
Diamine Grey inks, Pitt Artist Pen, Caran d'Ache Museum
water-soluble colored pencil
For my first sketch I sat on the low wall between the beach and the rest of the park to take in as much as possible of Elliott Bay and the shoreline, including the Space Needle and Queen Anne Hill’s three TV towers on the horizon.

Then I turned around to face Seattle’s own tiny replica of the Statue of Liberty, where I managed to catch Jane and Mike sketching in both directions.

Alki must have been a particularly inspiring location – I saw so many really great sketches today!

3 comments:

  1. I really like your sketch of the beach with the skyline behind it!! Good sketch of the sketchers sketching the mini Statue of Liberty. They couldn't sit that close to the real one and sketch it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketches! It sounds like it was a successful day for everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice sketches, Tina, especially the one of the beach. It has such nice contrast, and "design flow" (okay, I made up that term cuz I can't think of the proper word!) Oh! maybe I'm trying to say composition! Yes, the composition is excellent!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...