Tuesday, July 2, 2013

High Noon at the Zoo

 
7/2/13 Pilot Namiki Black ink, Stillman & Birn sketchbook
Animals, people, trees and other plants, architecture, wide open spaces, interiors, still lifes – just about anything you want to sketch, you can find at the zoo. That’s why I spend so much time there. Admittedly, with all of those choices, I spend most of my zoo time sketching small portraits of individual animals.

7/2/13 Pilot Namiki Black ink, Stillman & Birn sketchbook
Today I decided to take a variety of approaches. I spent more time sketching larger spaces, such as a group of people looking at the penguin exhibit and a value study of picnickers under a tree. The one I sketched at the penguin exhibit was especially interesting because the sun was almost directly overhead, creating unusual shadows.

I also tried quick gesture sketches of a reindeer and penguins in different positions. Finally, on my way out, I did one portrait of a beautiful heron that likes to preen on the high wall of the penguin exhibit.


7/2/13 water-soluble colored pencils, Diamine Grey ink
7/2/13 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink
7/2/13 Pilot Namiki Black ink


1 comment:

  1. I like your sense of distance in that first one. Nice sketches. Zoos are such fun to sketch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...