Friday, July 5, 2013

Colorful Singer in Monochrome


7/5/13 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi and Diamine Grey inks, Stillman & Birn sketchbook
Wouldn’t you know it.
 
Most of the musicians I’ve sketched at farmers markets have been dressed in dark, muted tones. This afternoon at Phinney Farmers Market, vocalist Alix Moren wore a brightly colored, floral-print dress that would have been fun to paint – if I’d had my paints! After yesterday’s dry run of my travel bag, I left all my watercolors and markers in that bag, knowing that I’d be doing my final packing today. So all I had with me today was black fountain pen ink and the waterbrush filled with Diamine Grey that I had taken out of the travel bag. Despite the monochrome sketch, Alix and guitarist Matt Williams performed a colorful rendition of some of my favorite ‘70s tunes, like Roberta Flack’s “Killing Me Softly.”
 
Strawberry season is almost over, so I picked up one last cup from Hayton Farms for tomorrow’s breakfast before we leave town. By the time we get back, the peaches may be in. As excited as I am to travel, I almost hate leaving Seattle at its very best time of year.

1 comment:

  1. Nice sketch even if you couldn't add color! You must be getting so excited about the trip.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...