Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Surprise in the Penguin Exhibit



12/5/12 Black Velvet ink, Hand Book sketchbook
Walking briskly through the zoo to stay warm, I was surprised to find an unexpected visitor in the penguin exhibit: a gray heron. It looked a lot like the one I’ve seen at Green Lake occasionally. Although on a warmer day I would have lingered to sketch it in a more leisurely manner, especially since it was taking its time preening, I sketched it quickly and moved on to my destination of choice in December: the Tropical Rainforest.
 
12/5/12 Black Velvet ink, Hand Book sketchbook
 
 
 
After wiping off my glasses, which had instantly fogged up inside the warm, humid enclosure (ahhh – a moment on a distant continent closer to the equator!), I sketched a golden lion tamarin and its strangely human face.

3 comments:

  1. Super sketches!!! Animals are great subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I particularly like the tamarin... you've done its human face well.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Joan and Kate! I may have made the tamarin look even more human-like than it really was... I think it's because of all my sketching in coffee shops. Next time I sketch someone in a coffee shop, he'll probably look more like a tamarin. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...