Friday, July 26, 2024

Sketcher Fest Auxiliary Events

 

7/18/24 Gas Works Park

After the ice cream cruise, locals were eager to show out-of-towners the cool places to sketch in Seattle. Gas Works Park was a popular choice, and rightly so. Its unique structures and great views of Lake Union, the Space Needle and downtown make it my favorite Seattle park to take visitors to. In addition, since we had all just seen the park from the water side, it would be fun for them to see it from the ground.

Since I’ve sketched at the park many times, I thought about what I wanted this story to be about – our visitors – and that’s what I focused on.

My lunch between Gas Works  and the Troll
After Gas Works, Kim and I decided that visitor Joel shouldn’t leave Seattle without seeing and sketching the Fremont Troll (below). Although I have sketched the Troll numerous times, I realized I hadn’t since the attraction had gotten a makeover last year. A new stairway was built to make it easier to climb the Troll, a favorite selfie location.



Fremont Troll with new stairway

Art Walk Edmonds, a Sketcher Fest sponsor, invited USk Seattle to see the exhibits and sketch along the way that evening. After the long day, I started to fade before the throwdown, but not before a relaxed dinner in Edmonds with a few friends at Fire & the Feast, at a lovely sidewalk table.

Dinner at Fire & the Feast, Edmonds

Giving Joel a ride back to his hotel, I thought our sketching day was over – until we saw that Her Majesty was out! I remembered Joel mentioning that he wanted to sketch or at least see Mt. Rainier, so we made a stop at Maple Leaf Park. The golden hour is a time of day that I rarely see Her Majesty, let alone sketch her, so it was a fresh view for me, too. After a long day of nonstop socializing (fun but challenging for this strong introvert), the quiet sketch I made there with Joel was my favorite moment of the whole day.  

Mt. Rainier from Maple Leaf Park

Troll fans

Photo by Kim Roberts

A quiet moment for introverts with Her Majesty


6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous sketch of the mountain- that blue paper made the perfect background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It sure made it easy to use just white!

      Delete
  2. Plus 1 to the comment on your Mount Rainier sketch. It's lovely! Sometimes the term "sketch" implies that it is unfinished or preliminary to a more ambitious painting, but in this case your drawing is complete and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a complete day with friends, food, sketching, and "her majesty" coming out just for you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very complete day with everything I enjoy! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...