Sunday, January 14, 2024

Sketching Roulette

 

1/12/24 Bryant neighborhood

Steve Reddy used to play a sketching game with himself when he was out taking walks: He would set his phone’s timer, and when the timer went off, he would stop and sketch whatever he happened to see at that location. (I haven’t done that, but now that I’m thinking about it, it appeals to me! I’ll try it sometime.)

My version of the game occurs in parking lots. Sometimes I’ll work hard to back into a particular slot so that I can sketch the view I want from the car. But other times I like to play sketching roulette: I park randomly and sketch whatever I happen to see from there. On Friday, the first day of our cold snap, I played the game in the Metropolitan Market parking lot and sketched the Hawthorne Apartment building entrance. It was 20 degrees. Even inside the rapidly cooling car, I couldn’t stand more than six minutes.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun way to get a sketch view. Sometimes it is interesting to sketch something we would normally not be attracted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like being stuck in a plane... sketch whatever you see!

      Delete
  2. I will steal that Steve Reddy sketching game - and I’m it will spawn other versions as I go. And yes - I still have my tropical blood in me so below 40ºF is unfriendly for sketching - unless maybe I turn it into a game? -Roy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...