Thursday, January 4, 2024

First Fog

1/1/24 From the bedroom window

The first day of the fresh year dawned overcast, but after a short while, a heavy fog came through. The temperature was 36. I stayed cozy and sketched this roofline view from our bedroom window.

Technical notes: I typically use graphite pencils to sketch fog, but I’ve been having so much fun with ArtGraf water-soluble graphite lately that it was a natural to try on a fogscape. It takes very little effort to get varying degrees of value even with a waterbrush.

Ever since the 30x30 Direct Watercolor challenge last summer, I haven’t necessarily avoided all under-drawing lines when I use paint or other wet media, but I’ve been pushing myself to use as few as possible. I almost always need some kind of under-drawing with architectural lines because I rarely get the angles right on the first try (the hardest part is showing the very subtle angle change between the Dutch gable and the rest of the roof   and Seattle has so many of these). But I’ve never blocked in trees and other organic parts, even before the challenge. Just for fun, I took a snapshot of my under-drawing just before I started “painting” with graphite. (Sorry the lines are so pale – I used an H pencil.) I’d like to get to the point where I need even fewer lines than this.

Under-drawing in H graphite

4 comments:

  1. I’m a line person - a good line says a lot - think Matisse. So - your under-drawing intrigues me much more, and invites me to enter its story. -Roy DeLine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More intriguing than the finished sketch?? Wow! I guess my underdrawing is saying more than I realized!

      Delete
  2. Great job depicting the fog. It is hard to do architectural drawings without guide lines. The architects make all those angles going in different directions. lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...