Monday, October 9, 2023

More Optical Mixing Studies

 

9/30/23 Luminance and Lightfast colored pencils in Uglybook (photo reference)

During rainy days and in the evenings, I’ve been studying optical color mixing with photos. I think of them as literal studies that will prepare me for when I sketch with dry colored pencils on location. To that end, I am using the same A6-size format, and I try not to spend more time than I usually would in the field.

10/2/23 Lightfast colored pencils in Uglybook 
(photo reference)

The one at the top of post is my favorite – both the secondary triad used and the composition. When I snapped the reference photo, I wanted to sketch it from life, but I didn’t have time at that moment. I also knew that that perfect shadow angle would be changing rapidly. Knowing that the opportunity was fleeting made me feel a little better about having to do it from a photo.

The other three sketches were as much pencil tests as optical mixing studies. As before, I’ve been using both Derwent Lightfast and Caran d’Ache Luminance for these studies in an Uglybook, which has an excellent tooth for colored pencils, but I just haven’t been feeling the love for either pencil (even though I have loved them in previous uses). For the last sketch shown here, I switched to Prismacolors, and darn it if I don’t love them all over again – at least on Uglybook paper. (Yes, I’m super-picky about the pencil/paper relationship.)

How are these optically mixed sketches different from my “usual” colored pencil sketches? It’s a fine line. I was consciously attempting not to blend the colors so that individual colors are still apparent. Maybe the best examples are the tree trunk and foreground shadow in the top sketch.

10/2/23 Luminance in Uglybook (photo reference)

10/2/23 Prismacolors in Uglybook (photo reference)

Finally a Kleenex box that doesn't clash with our bathroom.

Color inspiration: I’ve mentioned my love for the secondary triad, even in my home décor. A recent bulk package of Kleenex tissues from Costco included the ideal box design for our downstairs bathroom! I usually wouldn’t put light blue in with the triad, but yellow in the mix balances with the blue (see the sky in one sketch here). You never know where inspiration will come from.

Speaking of inspiration, if you want to see examples of the ultimate in optical color mixing as well as next-level hatching, check out the spectacular work of Kristin Nohe Juchs. Her primary medium is gel pens in many layered colors. Obviously with gel pen ink, no physical mixing is involved; each pen line contributes to the overall visual effect of the hues. She occasionally shows her color “mixing” grids, which are works of art in themselves.

2 comments:

  1. Fun to see where your color inspiration came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew that even Kleenex could be inspiring? ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...