Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Sunny Cal Anderson Park

1/14/23 Cal Anderson Park "fountain mountain"

USk Seattle always orders up sunshine, and for a change, it was delivered on time for our Saturday outing on Capitol Hill! Meeting up at the light rail station, which was going to be our contingency shelter, most sketchers took advantage of the mild, dry weather to sketch outdoors.

I walked to nearby Cal Anderson Park, where I hadn’t sketched since 2016. The “fountain mountain,” as the Doug Hollis-designed water feature is called by locals, wasn’t running water the last time I sketched it, but this time it was (top of post). Apparently it was repaired last fall after some damage, so several of us who sketched it were lucky it was no longer covered in scaffolding.

Broadway Performance Hall

After that, I walked around the neighborhood a bit to find a second sketch. A reflective, metallic sculpture in front of the Broadway Performance Hall caught my eye (left). I liked the contrast between the modern sculpture and the historic building, which was originally built as part of Broadway High School in 1911. Finding a way to put them both in the same composition, though, was tricky – the best view would have been from the middle of Broadway standing on the streetcar tracks. I had to settle for the sidewalk, barely getting the top of the tower into the sketch.

For my last sketch, I ended up back at Cal Anderson Park, where two women were probably sketching the fountain (below). After all the rain and gray weve been having, it was so nice to see shadows again!

Cal Anderson Park

My light rail rides to and from Capitol Hill are short – less than 15 minutes each way – so I barely had time to sketch, but I did my best to catch a few commuters.

Link light rail commuters


We had a strong wintertime turnout by USk Seattle, including a visit from Anya from Anchorage, who tries to sketch with us whenever she’s in town. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had some sunny weather and that it was warm enough to sketch outdoors. I like that one of the performance hall and the sculpture. Nice to get two in one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! We're back to "normal" cold and wet again... it sure was nice to have the reprieve!

      Delete
  2. Ot but here is an ebay listing for supracolour 1 I enjoy reading your cp histories - happy sketching https://www.ebay.com/itm/195509829702?hash=item2d854b4046:g:RGkAAOSw4fJjkqH4

    Tabby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Tabby! I did finally get some Supracolor I on eBay! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...