Sunday, May 15, 2022

No Lighting Required

 

Flossing is frustrating for Scissors, but her hygienist says it's important.

Years ago, I attended a gathering of the Sketch Pistols, a group who met regularly in pubs and coffee shops to socialize and sketch together. I had been a member of Urban Sketchers for a few years by then, and I thought it would be fun to meet more sketchers. I was also curious about how other groups sketched socially.

I was surprised that the chosen venue was very dark. I could barely see the décor or patrons enough to draw them. But the sketchers were nice people, and I enjoyed the conversation, so I stayed, struggling to see what I was drawing.

Faucet Handle has colorful terms for people who don't pick up after their dogs.

As the evening wore on, we started sharing sketchbooks, and I realized that I was in the minority as someone who drew from life. One other person was drawing other patrons, but the rest of the group all seemed to be drawing from inside  their heads – comic strips, elaborate, fantastical scenes with creatures or vehicles, and one artist was designing a deck of playing cards. In my narrow experience with Urban Sketchers, I guess I had assumed that this group would be drawing from observation too, so it was mind-expanding to see the diversity of their work. I laughed wryly to myself about their chosen venue: No wonder they didn’t care about how dark the interior was – as long as they could see their sketchbooks, their own minds required no lighting!

I recalled that evening with the Sketch Pistols recently when I found myself hoping to fill a few minutes with sketchwaiting, but the surroundings were dark and dismal. That’s when I remembered that I could work on sketches from my imagination! I pulled out my Field Notes and started scribbling ideas. Although I will probably always prefer drawing from observation, it’s liberating to have the option to dig something out of my mind if I want to. 

Hayfever season sucks. (After posting this on Facebook, most readers didn't realize that the shapes floating over Soap Dispenser's head were supposed to be soap bubbles. My sloppy circles led most people to think they were pollen particles. I learned the importance of drawing carefully if the meaning is essential to the drawing.)

Soap Dispenser had lent her some books he thought she would enjoy, but Faucet Handle is not much of a reader.

Scissors' personal best was 27 dandelions in one snip, but she's off her game this year. Plenty to train with, though.

Soap Dispenser listens to podcasts while knitting scarves, but sometimes he forgets to stop.

Faucet Handle is not superstitious, but today she's hangin' with her four favorite rabbit's feet, just in case. 

2 comments:

  1. How odd that the sketch group worked from their imagination and not life. Who woudda thunk it? It did inspire you to develop your new characters which I am enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I want to meet up with that group again and say, "See, I'm drawing from my head now, too." ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...