Sunday, November 21, 2021

Much to Celebrate

11/16/21 Bryant neighborhood

I had a birthday a few days ago, and with the deluge we’ve been having lately, I assumed it would rain that day, too (most of my childhood birthday party memories include rain, so I’m used to it). To my surprise, it was mostly dry, and the clouds kept parting sporadically to let the sun through.

I had also assumed that our “atmospheric river” surely would have put an end to leaf-peeping season, but call me optimistic. Driving around the Bryant neighborhood, I saw that most trees were bare, but a few were reluctant to give ‘em up. A little bald on top, this maple still had some shining to do. It just goes to show that I can’t make assumptions. And the sunshine was an unexpected birthday treat.

Speaking of birthday treats, Greg took me to our favorite sushi restaurant that evening to celebrate. The last time we had dined inside a restaurant was February 2020 for his birthday – only a couple of weeks before the global pandemic became more than just a disturbing news article. We went to Kisaku that time, too. We chose Kisaku again because, like more and more Seattle restaurants, proof of vaccination is required to dine there. Other than the masks, not much had changed in 21 months; they still had my favorite hamachi appetizer, and the whole meal was delicious. It was very special to be back.

I rarely sketch my food, especially during special occasion dining. It was important, however, to document this meal as a celebration of more than just my birthday.

Greg was happily eating his own appetizer so he didn't have to wait
while I sketched. ;-)

Much to celebrate!


2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had many treats for your birthday! Happy Birthday...keep the celebrating going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan! I enjoy extending it for as long as I can! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...