Saturday, October 16, 2021

Inktober, Week 2: The Fun Begins

 

10/8/21 Blind contour with details added in black.
Not wonky enough.

Maybe I wasn’t choosing the right subjects, but my early blind contours didn’t look or even feel wonky enough. I needed something to kick it up a gear – and someone who practices non-dominant-hand sketching regularly put the light bulb over my head. (Thanks, Anne!) I hadnt practiced drawing with my non-dominant hand since my pandemic hand series more than a year ago. Now I’m doing partial blind contours with my right hand! After a ho-hum start, I’m finally hitting my Inktober stride.

Technical note: I love the flexy but springy brush tip on the Pilot Shunpitsu pocket brush pen (I reviewed it at the Well-Appointed Desk), but that ink sure does bleed. I’ve been using a Field Notes Harvest notebook that can hold up to my Sailor fude fire hose without bleeding, yet this Shunpitsu bleeds all the way through to the next page. For Inktober, I don’t care if the pages are spotty, but the ink’s behavior is surprising – most of my brush pens don’t bleed at all. According to JetPens, the water-based ink is “quick drying” – maybe that quality accounts for the bleeding.

10/9/21 The only non-blind sketch of the week.

10/9/21 This is my favorite so far! I love the disconnected wheel!

10/11/21

10/12/21

10/13/21

10/14/21 First blind contour done with my right hand. Now we're having fun!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to found a fun way to sketch and keep yourself interested in these. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not worth doing a challenge unless it's fun and interesting, right? ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...