Friday, October 22, 2021

Elementary Maple

10/18/21 Olympic View Elementary School, Maple Leaf neighborhood

Although Olympic View Elementary School is easily within walking distance, we usually don’t go in that direction on our daily walks. I have been determined to peep as many leaves as possible while the peeping is good, however, so we have been taking different routes lately. This maple in front will be a keeper on my annual tour!

As many trees as I sketch, each is still a challenge in different ways. This one had relatively loose foliage compared to some densely packed trees. I can’t recall which artist said this, but he had recommended that painters leave “holes for the birds to fly through” when painting trees. I tried to leave some sky holes, but I inadvertently filled in more than I had intended. I also lost some of the light because I got a bit carried away with those colors I love so much. That’s probably one of the biggest challenges of working with a primary triad: Sometimes I have to choose between the local colors and the values. The answer is to always choose values – but it’s hard not to be dazzled by a brilliant maple.

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the colors of your trees. We still don't have much of a color change yet. It will probably happen all at once and a wind storm will come along and blow everything off the trees. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having a huge wind and rainstorm right now! I think leaf-peeping season is over here!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...