Saturday, August 17, 2019

Simon Benson House


8/11/19 Simon Benson House, Portland
In anticipation of the taiko concert we were to attend, we arrived a little early to the Portland State University campus. Prominently standing on a corner was Simon Benson House, which was built at the turn of the 20th century. “This beautiful, century-old, Queen Anne style home was moved in January 2000 from 11th and Clay to its current location and lovingly restored. It is now the home of the PSU Alumni Association,” according to the university’s website.

I checked the time. I knew I would need at least 90 minutes and a full-page spread to attempt the entire house, so in the time I had (about 45 minutes), I bit off this ornate elevation view to sketch. I’m glad I wasn’t worried about getting the perspective right – all those complicated cornices, eaves and arched windows would have driven me batty! And since I wasn’t worried, I’m quite happy that I captured as much as I did.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the quirkiness of the perspective in the sketch just adds to the charm of old houses. You did a good job on all those architectural details in a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was challenging but fun to see how much I could capture in a short time.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...