Friday, May 17, 2019

Sora of Kingdom Hearts III

5/15/19  Rhiannan as Sora (10-min. pose)

Are you familiar with the video game Kingdom Hearts III? Neither was I, but I met one of its characters Wednesday night at Cosplay Drink & Draw hosted by Luther’s Table in Renton. Organized by Kate Buike, this casual group meets weekly to sketch models dressed in amazing costumes based on fantasy, anime and other characters.

On this evening, model Rhiannan was dressed as Sora, hero of Kingdom Hearts III, which “follows the journey of Sora, a young boy and unknowing heir to a spectacular power. Sora is joined by Donald Duck and Goofy to stop an evil force known as the Heartless from invading and overtaking the universe.” Although I had no idea who this character was (nor did I know until I just researched the game that the character is male), I was delighted and impressed by the meticulous care that Rhiannan had taken to create a realistic, highly detailed costume. I wish I could have shown more of the beautiful tailoring, embellishments and lots of pockets in my one- to 10-minute sketches. Most of my life drawing experience is with nude models, so it was especially fun to capture the flamboyant shape of Sora’s skirt and jacket.

2-minute poses

























The venue, Luther’s Table, is also worth nothing as unique in this area, as far as I know. Its mission is “to change the world by loving all people, fostering authentic community, and breaking down barriers through food, drink, the arts, and a spirit of generosity. We love being a place to host deep conversations - theological or philosophical, over a drink or a meal.” Entirely staffed by volunteers, the café gives 30 percent of donations received to local non-profits and provides “a no-cost coffee and warm up program for those folks in need of a warm space.” On the evening I was there, other patrons did, indeed, seem to be engaged in lively conversation or quietly reading. I’m amazed that the organization is able to sustain itself, but I’m happy that this type of space is available for people who enjoy sketching costumed models.

It’s a bit of a drive for me during rush hour, so I’m not sure how often I’ll be participating, but it was so much fun that I’d love to get down there again sometime.

2-minute pose
1-minute pose
The Dark Lord helps Kate collect tips for the model.
A creative outfit, complete with key staff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...