Friday, May 24, 2019

Gage Academy

5/17/19 Gage Academy, Capitol Hill neighborhood

Eager for some life drawing on a drizzly, overcast morning, I was doubly happy when I scored a good spot near Gage Academy, where parking is scarce and competitive. When I arrived at the studio, though, I realized I had gotten the time wrong – the session didn’t begin for four more hours!

I couldn’t bear to let the parking spot go without a sketch. However, the view from my windshield was not one I would have chosen if I’d had a choice: Many large trees shroud the dark brick building, which isn’t fully visible from any angle. A clutter of cars, a bike rack and other stuff made the composition murky. If that weren’t enough, I also had the challenge of clouds; the shadows were indistinct. Did I really want to do this sketch?

Red and blue to the rescue. Bring it!

P.S. I just realized that this sketch includes all three of my former sketching nemeses: architecture, cars and trees. Nothing like a good workout first thing in the morning!

2 comments:

  1. I am loving these red and blue sketches. I never thought to do this kind of two-color pencil challenge. I plan on working this in somewhere in the future. Keep up the good work!

    John
    https://medium.com/@artfulstationer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! Glad to hear you are inspired to try some bicolor sketches. The editing pencil makes it easy and compact. ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...