Sunday, May 26, 2019

More Buskers


5/25/19 U-District Farmers Market buskers


After freezing at the Folklife Festival on Friday, I was disappointed that I hadn’t sketched as many buskers as I had wanted to. The next day, I needed to get flowers to bring to the cemetery, so I went to the U-District Farmers Market, and this time I was better prepared: I wore my down parka.

Toasty for the whole hour I was there, I captured two acts: One was a young ukulele player singing classic Israel Kamakawiwoʻole tunes. The second was a pair of white-bearded gents: One played both ukulele and kazoo. His partner played a washtub bass while wearing a pink necktie and bulky orange work gloves. We could all have used gloves like that.

(I’ve heard that in some parts of the country, Memorial Day weekend is when people have barbecues and go on picnics. . . surely that’s a myth. Excuse me – I have to go crank up the heat another notch.)

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Not enough buskers. I didn't dress warmly enough for the Memorial Day dedication I attended yesterday. Glad you stayed warm. At least for me, the rain held off until it was over.

    Buy ON Memorial Day, tomorrow, it's predicted to be 80 degrees. This is nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we seem to be getting winter, spring and summer all in one weekend!

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to capture the buskers despite the cold weather. Here in NY we had 3 beautiful, warm, sunny days for the holiday weekend. I can't remember that happening in a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...