Thursday, March 14, 2019

Book Review: Atelier Caran d’Ache: The Workshop Book


OK, maybe I’m a sucker for eye candy. So shoot me. I bought Atelier Caran D’Ache: the Workshop Book knowing full well that it would be an overpriced promotion for the Swiss art materials company. But I couldn’t resist.

As you may know from some of my reviews, such as of Prismalo colored pencils, I am interested in (OK, a total geek of) the history of my favorite materials. I was hoping this book might shed light on some dark corners of Caran d’Ache colored pencil history. Nope. But it does deliver on the promised eye candy.


Most chapters cover the major product lines: graphite, colored pencils, fiber pens, watercolors, gouache, acrylic and modeling clay. Other chapters offer techniques and ideas, including some unusual innovations. These chapters do not include step-by-step instructions but simply photographs of works in progress. A final gallery shows works made with Caran d’Ache products.







There is a chapter on company history, including a timeline, but nothing illuminating to this geek.




On my bucket list is to someday travel to Geneva and tour the Caran d’Ache colored pencil factory. This is mostly a fantasy, as I’ve heard that Caran d’Ache does not offer public tours. In case this bucket list item is not fulfilled, the book does offer a few photographs of the colored pencil manufacturing process. It’s not Geneva, but it will have to do. For now.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Naaahhh.... I'll never get my fill of colored pencils! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I've found your blog recently and my colour pencil geekiness is getting its fill :D

    A question: does this book explain what was Supracolor I? Or do you know? Because only information about Supracolor II can be found. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man -- that is the question of the day for colored pencil geeks: What the heck was Supracolor I, and does it actually exist? No, the book does not answer it! An eBay vendor once told me that Supracolor I was harder than II. But I have yet to get my hands on some I's to test that! You'll be the first to know if I ever do! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...