Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Three Kinds of Roundish

1/13/19 Maple Leaf Park

The Maple Leaf water tower is probably my most-often sketched artifact within walking distance of my house. On days when our usual mid-January doldrums are broken by well-deserved sunshine, I don’t care where I go – I just start walking, and Maple Leaf Park is where I often end up.

As I studied the tower, I was thinking about color but found myself reaching for my trusty Blackwing pencil instead. In bright sunlight, the tower is full of interesting cast shadows from the girding around it. But the most intriguing – and challenging – are those difficult shadows that describe its form – a cylinder around the middle, a saucer on top and another on the bottom. I love graphite for that type of shading; I haven’t used any other medium that is able to express roundish shading in quite the same way.

4 comments:

  1. Love this sketch! You’ve convinced me about the beauty of pencil sketches (watercolor and graphite).
    I am finding that when I add color to one of my sketches I don’t like it as well at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! When I used to use watercolor, I often found that I ruined a relatively good drawing when I added watercolor and regretted it. Plain old graphite can be the height of elegance and simplicity.

      Delete
  2. Your shading on the tower is really well done in this sketch...bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan! Alas, that beautiful weather is now just a memory.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...