Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Orange Sun

9/5/17 Seattle's sun at 8:21 a.m. 
A couple of weeks ago I sketched the darkened sun as the moon passed in front of it. This morning I sketched the sun again, but this time it was no eclipse – it was smoke and ash from wildfires still burning in central Washington that blocked the sun, turning it an eerie orange-pink. Sketched at 8:21 a.m., it looked more like sunset. And like the solar eclipse at totality, I could stare directly at the sun with my naked eyes. Ash flakes fell on my sketchbook as I sketched.

Our typical overcast sky is white or gray, but today it has a strong yellowish cast. A dusting of ash covers the cars and other outdoor surfaces. Despite today’s heat, expected to be in the 90s by this afternoon, our windows are sealed up tight.

2 comments:

  1. All that ash sounds like it would be annoying and unhealthy...but it is much better than the actual fires. I hope the weather turns so that the fire can be controlled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...at least you got to see the sun. The worldwide fire challenges are pretty scary though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...