Monday, October 12, 2015

Making No Bones About It

10-12-15 inks, colored pencils

Two years ago I had so much fun sketching a house in our neighborhood that used to go all out on Halloween – an excess of ghouls, corpses, skeletons, ghosts and gravestones covering the yard. Every year beginning on the first day of October, I looked forward to seeing what new horrors would appear. Last year I was disappointed that the decorations seemed lackluster, but I sketched them anyway. Sadly, this year the house is not decorated at all. I don’t really know the owner, but I met him that day I sketched his house in 2013, and that’s how I learned he had been doing it annually for 20 years. (I hope he’s all right.)

Anyway, on my walks around the neighborhood, I’ve seen a few carved pumpkins and spider-webby trees, but nothing too exciting. Then Greg told me about the scene he saw on one of his walks: Two skeletal kids and their skeletal dog and kitty! (All those dinosaurs I’ve sketched turned out to be great training for this!)

2 comments:

  1. Good job on these bony creatures! I wouldn't have thought about sketching the Halloween decorations, but that could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like they're having fun, but they'll need coats when the sun goes down.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...