Sunday, September 13, 2015

Penciling in Fall

9/10/15 colored pencils, inks
Despite my reluctance to see summer end, I always welcome one thing about autumn: all the colors in the trees. When I see a pair of maples going red (below) or an aspen turning gold (at left), it’s natural to pull out my watercolors, and the past couple years, that’s usually what I did.

This season, though, I’ve been experimenting more with colored pencils – both my favorite water-soluble Caran d’Ache Museum pencils as well as the crazy, variegated Koh-i-Noor Tri-Tone pencils that I’ve lately been hooked on. With pencils, it takes a bit longer to build up rich color compared to watercolors. But one thing I like about pencils is that I can get more texture in trees. Another thing is the physical ease and simplicity: When I’m walking through my neighborhood and stop for a sketch, I have to stand, so pulling out a few pencils is much easier than painting. (If you’re wondering about the sky behind the aspen, that’s not watercolor, either – it’s ink applied with a waterbrush! My middle name is “shortcut”). Overall, these sketches took the same amount of time as when I use watercolor.

By the way, the aspen above is one you’ve seen me sketch in previous years (in September almost exactly a year ago and October 2013). I love the way it adds a brilliant spark of yellow to that intersection.

9/8/15 colored pencils, ink

5 comments:

  1. Love the texture you were able to get in the trees!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! It's fun with those pencils.

      Delete
  2. These are wonderful, Tina, though the thought of trees reporting a descent into winter is depressing. None of the trees here have gotten that memo, yet. On a couple occasions I've said, "Why don't I put blue ink in a waterbrush so I can do quick skies. You've done it. The color seems right; what is it? --- Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! I like to use Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa for sky.

      Delete
  3. Great, a new excuse to buy some ink :-) --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...