Thursday, April 25, 2013

World’s Largest Trophy Cup


4/25/13 Platinum Carbon ink, Winsor Newton watercolor, Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook
I was somewhat underwhelmed.
 
In fact, I was more impressed with the fact that I found a free, one-hour parking space in the south Lake Union area directly across the street – so much so that I decided to sketch it anyway. (It’s hard to pass up free parking in just the right spot.)
 
Athletic Awards is listed in Roadside America's “online guide to offbeat tourist attractions” for having the “world’s largest trophy cup” (which is also touted on the base of said trophy cup). Although I saw the photo of the trophy before I went, I thought it would be. . . shinier, bigger, somehow more than it looked to me. The image on the trophy cup of a stick man cheering didn’t quite convey the enthusiasm I expected, nor that the trophy seemed to be made of wood.
 
So call me jaded. Driving anywhere with the top down, sketching anything in the warm, mid-afternoon sun: That’s good enough for me.

1 comment:

  1. Funny post, Tina. The southwest is full of these 'biggest...' places. All that I've seen are equally underwhelming. Well, there was the two-headed rattlesnake.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...