Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I Otter Paint Flamingoes


4/30/13 Noodler's Lexington Grey ink, watercolor, Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook
The Woodland Park Zoo offered members a sneak preview of its new Bamboo Forest Reserve exhibit, home to two new Asian small-clawed otters. Membership card in hand, excited to receive a free sticker with the other kids, I was there. The exhibit looked great, but all I saw of the new otters was a couple of dark, motionless mounds in their cave, while their pool stood empty but inviting.
 
4/30/13 Sailor fountain pen cartridge, Stillman & Birn Alpha

No matter. On this cold but sunny afternoon, I was eager to put some color on the page, so I wandered over to one of the zoo’s most colorful spots: the Chilean flamingo exhibit. I’ve sketched the flamingoes several times before, including last July and just about a year ago in April, but I never tire of their bright pink plumage and elegantly long necks. Today a couple of young ones were napping, distinctive with their grayish-brown feathers.
 
On my way out I walked through the Conservation Aviary, where I did a quick sketch of a Victoria crowned pigeon and its fantastic headdress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...