Thursday, October 25, 2012

Proportion



10/25/12 Nero pencil
10/25/12 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink

Question: What’s the most important element of human figure drawing – the one thing that if you get it wrong, everything’s wrong?
 
Answer:
A.    Proportion
B.     Proportion
C.     Proportion
D.    All of the above.

No, it’s not something I learned in a figure drawing class, but it’s the answer I keep coming up with in Gage’s figure drawing open studio sessions as well as in coffee shop figure drawing open studio sessions.
 
After an hour-and-a-half of sketching a model in various poses and lengths of pose, I think I finally got the proportions mostly correct in this 10-minute pose (model on the right). But a few hours later at Starbucks, look what happened to my hapless “model” on the left when I tried to squeeze his legs onto the sketchbook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...