Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Zoo is Full of Surprises

 

8/25/26 Silverback gorilla, Woodland Park Zoo

Visiting the zoo is always a crapshoot. Some days the animals are awake and active; others they are sleeping or just hiding from visitors. Woodland Park Zoo opens at 9 a.m. each day because the animals are supposedly more active in the morning, but I’ve had both good and bad luck at all times of day. You never know what you’ll get.

When Mary Jean, Roy and I visited last week, our sketchbooks were ready for whatever the animals gave us. I’ve been visiting the zoo for all the years I’ve been sketching, and on this day, the gorillas were the most visible and sketchable than any time I can remember! The silverback gave us the best show, loping around, leisurely chewing on twigs he was foraging and finally chillin’ with his snack very close to the viewing area. Several other adults and a few adolescent gorillas were also actively hanging out. They were all fascinating to watch and draw.


The Humboldt penguins are usually easy to see and sketch wherever they are in their large, open exhibit, but on this day several were within the viewing area that puts them closest to visitors. Molting and apparently uncomfortable, the birds vigorously scratched and preened their scrappy-looking feathers. After taking a dip, they would shake their tiny wings and rear ends, then dive in again. So much fun!


Humboldt penguins

A few weeks ago when I visited, Carson, the red panda, had been easily visible. This time, I could barely see him in the distance, so all I sketched in the Forest Trailhead exhibit was a tree kangaroo (probably the same one who was sitting on the same perch as last time).

Tree kangaroo and Humboldt penguins

Like all urban sketching, much of the fun and challenge is not knowing what you’ll get but enjoying whatever it is.

(See this Instagram post for a couple of videos I took of the silverback and a penguin.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...