Monday, September 26, 2022

Secondary Triad Harbinger

 

9/18/22 Maple Leaf neighborhood

The maple across the street, my designated early harbinger of fall, has begun to turn – almost overnight. I start checking it in early September, and in some prior years, it has started turning in late August, as it did last year. On Sept. 18 when I sketched it, it still didn’t have as much color as when I sketched it last year more than two weeks earlier. I’ve noticed that the sweet gums at Green Lake are a little later this year, too.

Color notes: It was fun looking back at last year’s sketch, when I used a primary triad. I’m pleased to be using this secondary triad now – it pushed me to make the sky lavender!

This sketch was also a terrific color temperature study. The house is actually pale yellow, but instead of bringing in the warm orange, I used a bit of the warm green as an experiment. Looking at it now, I think I should have gone with my initial thought to use orange, but I didn’t want the house to compete with the orange in the tree. In retrospect, maybe it would have balanced the tree’s orange.

I played with a combo of the cool green and dark violet for the two small but sharp cast shadows – one on the warm siding, and one on the gray rooftop. I also used varying degrees of green and violet on the two faces of the rooftop, which were both in sunlight, but the side on the right had slightly more light.

I debated on activating the dark green shadow on the whole front of the house to make it darker, but I didn’t want to bring the eye to such a large, dark shape, where it would fall off the picture’s right edge (a huge no-no in the composition-wary world). For the sake of values, however, maybe I should have made it a bit darker without activating it.

Every sketch is made with thoughts and after-thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. That triad is granting you great results. And I can see the tricks in color temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out great! It is fun to compare the two versions with the two different triads. Both work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! I like the results of both triads, but this one evokes a cooler fall to me. Maybe I associate primary triads with summer because that's when I tend to use them!

      Delete
  3. Before I read your post, I was actually thinking that I really like how everything but the sky and part of the tree is hues of green--especially with the lavender sky being the complement of the orange, I think it the restrained hand works to draw the eye to the fall foliage! Nice choice leaving that textured shadow dry, too. Taming composition just never ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! I thought about all of those things as I drew, so I'm happy that you noticed! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...