Thursday, April 9, 2020

A Change of Hands

The right perspective

I’ve pulled this hand sketch out of the next batch post because it was especially interesting to do: Inspired by a challenge from Urban Sketchers Japan, I drew with my right (non-dominant) hand. Thankfully, seeing the proportions, contours, angles and other basics was no different than usual, maybe because my brain was doing most of that work. I wondered if the hand-brain connection (right hand connected to the left side of the brain and vice versa) would affect those skills, but I didn’t notice much difference. 

Where I noticed the most difference, and it was significant, was with fine motor control. I found that I could hatch at only one angle, so I had to keep rotating the page. And with my left hand, I can vary the pressure easily, but my right hand had an unrecognizably light touch, and it was difficult to press harder and still maintain movement control.

During these strange times when we are all learning to appreciate things we otherwise take for granted, this drawing made me grateful for my left hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...