Monday, December 9, 2019

Drawing Jam, Part 1: Models

12/7/19 Cookie Couture (20-min. pose)
Cannoli (20-min. pose)


I know I just got through saying I’ve been jonesin’ for life-drawing practice while Gage Academy is on winter break. But one reason Gage takes that break is to put on Drawing Jam, the school’s annual day-long participative art extravaganza, which I look forward to all year. Saturday was my eighth consecutive year taking part in the Jam (now in its 20th year), which offers nude and costumed models to draw and sculpt, areas for still life and self-portrait practice, demos by Gage instructors, activities for kids, live music to draw by, and free art supplies donated by Blick. Guess what? I got my fix!

Since I sketch nude models during regular sessions but rarely have a chance to draw them in costume, I focused my attention on the latter. I was also in the mood to try some new materials that I don’t usually take to life drawing. I’m currently working on reviews of fountain pen inks for the Well-Appointed Desk, so Drawing Jam gave me an opportunity to use those inks in unusual ways.

Two models sketched in 1 minute
First I filled several waterbrushes with fountain pen inks. This tool is not new to me; I first started using it years ago during the long transition between being frustrated with watercolors and trying to find something else that worked better for me. I remembered the fast, deliciously juicy applications of ink I could get with waterbrushes, and I knew they’d be fun to use during short poses. For the ink reviews, I had also filled a couple of hacked Pilot Parallel fountain pens, so I grabbed these for Drawing Jam, too.

I tried using the waterbrushes and pens individually during the shortest poses, but the real fun started during the five- and 10-minute poses. First I captured the general gesture loosely and broadly with an ink-filled waterbrush. Then with a Pilot Parallel containing a contrasting color ink, I went back into the gesture to emphasize shadows and fill in a few details. Sometimes I used a water-filled brush to spread the inks further and bring out the light. So much fun! I’m definitely going to bring these tools to regular life-drawing practice when it starts up again.


Two models sketched in 1 minute
Ink-filled waterbrush and a hacked Pilot Parallel!

10-min. pose
10-min. pose

5-min. pose
5-min. pose


During 10- and 20-minute poses, I also used my favorite watercolor pencils to work on tighter drawings. With nude models, color isn’t very important, so I hardly even think about it. With costumed models, though, it was a lot of fun using full color for a change.

10-min. pose

10-min. pose

20-min. pose

Most fun of all was drawing drag queens Cookie Couture (top of page, whom I’ve enjoyed sketching at previous Drawing Jams), Mercury Divine and Cannoli (top of page) – their bright outfits were a treat.

Mercury Divine (20-min. pose)
Thank you, Blick and Gage, for the free art supplies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...