Friday, November 11, 2016

Chocolate Therapy

11/11/16 water-soluble graphite

The other sketchers I chatted with this morning all agreed: There’s nothing like chocolate to improve one’s mood. Our outing to Fran’s Chocolates in Georgetown was timely.

When the Friday sketchers visited Fran’s nearly two years ago, I spent most of that time sketching the workers handcrafting elegant chocolate truffles through the viewing window. Today I couldn’t resist one sketch from the same window (the scent in that spot is heavenly!), but I also had another mission.
11/11/16 brush pen

I wanted to find an interior view to use as a tonal study in graphite. It helped that most of the d├ęcor at Fran’s is dark brown, which kept me from being tempted to put in color. Facing the main retail counter, I spotted a vintage post with an interesting bumpy texture next to a stairway handrail – a fun and challenging exercise.

With the morning warming up, I wandered across the street to sketch an iconic Georgetown smokestack attached to the brick brewery next to Fran’s.

11/11/16 brush pen, colored pencils
Chocolate therapy works. I, for one, certainly felt better afterwards. I brought home a box of truffles in anticipation of future needs.

Chocolate therapy works.


1 comment:

  1. LOL The box of truffles would never have made it home with me. Great sketches of the chocolate factory and the smokestack.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...