Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Sketching with Non-Sketchers

8/26/16 brush pen, colored pencil
While my arteries recover from all the deep-fried foods I ate at the Minnesota State Fair, I’ll tell you about my adventures in the Twin Cities the past several days!

Before I get to the bulk of my fair sketches, however, I thought I’d follow up on my post from last week that was prompted by a reader’s question about how I sketch while traveling with my spouse. As you learned from that post, Greg and I have a system that works well for our independent interests. When I’m with other non-sketchers, though, I don’t want to keep them waiting, but of course I always want to sketch anyway. How do I manage that? Our trip to the Twin Cities, with the primary purpose of visiting with family, was filled with examples of how I’ve learned to balance my own desire to sketch with socializing as a group participant.

Our first full day in the Cities was spent with three family members at the famous Minnesota State Fair, one of the largest and best fairs in the country. It helped to know that I would be back again the next day, so I used that first day as a “teaser” to survey all that the fair had to offer and set priorities for my focus later. Still, I hadn’t been to this fair in nearly a decade, and I’d never been there with a sketchbook, so it was impossible to resist sneaking in a few sketches.
8/26/16 brush pen

How? I was always on the lookout for moments (and I mean literally moments of one to five minutes) when the others were occupied. My sisters-in-law want foot-long corn dogs? Plenty of time to sketch polka dancers. Others are still in the restroom? A quick sketch showing the variety of sizes and stances of fair-goers. Strolling through the poultry barn? That’s easy – I just focus on one hen while the others go down the aisle, and I catch up with them a few minutes later. And while the rest of the group goes through a fair history exhibit at a leisurely pace, I go through quickly, then wait outside the exhibit hall to capture more activities in my sketchbook.

It’s a matter of choosing subject matter appropriately – perhaps a single object rather than a scene – making it small, and adjusting expectations to the time available. And sketching fast! I usually use a brush pen for quick gestures, no details and colored pencil scribbles.

8/26/16 brush pen, colored pencil
I even had plenty of time to scarf down foods on sticks, just like everyone else! For the record, the best thing I ate was the deep-fried pumpkin pie served with vanilla ice cream – to die for! Healthiest and a runner-up for best taste was the roasted corn on the cob dipped in butter. Most surprisingly tasty was the deep-fried pickles! I could have passed on the Australian battered potato, although smothering it in sour cream and sweet chili sauce certainly helped. What’s Australian about it? asked a Facebook friend. The answer: the booth was playing “Waltzing Matilda,” and a tiny Aussie flag pierced the top of my potato. Meh!

Stay tuned for the rest of my state fair sketches!

8/26/16 brush pen, colored pencil
The healthiest thing I consumed all day: roasted corn on the cob!

Nitro ice cream!
Australian battered potato
Tom Thumb mini donuts

6 comments:

  1. Tina -- Today is the first chance I've had to respond to your posts about traveling with non-sketchers.

    Thank you so much for these posts, especially the post about traveling to the Symposium with your husband. Like Greg, my husband has his own interests, so we were more wondering about how to intersect during the Symposium. Your posts have eased my mind about that, and today's posts have given me some great ideas about how to sketch when I am out and about with non-sketching friends. I really appreciate your perspective, except...

    Now I'm hungry for Fair Food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that you found the info useful! As for fair food. . . if you don't have a fair nearby, your arteries will thank you! :-)

      - Tina

      Delete
  2. Good tips but even better......the fair stories! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really good at quick sketches...me, not so much. Lol when I am with non-sketchers that are not family I usually don't sketch. I may arrive at our meeting location early instead a do a sketch then. My hat goes off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It’s a matter of choosing subject matter appropriately – perhaps a single object rather than a scene – making it small, and adjusting expectations to the time available. And sketching fast!"

    I was out with the family yesterday and thought about writing a post similar to this one. You've encapsulated it well in these simple statements. I think these quick sketches go a long way towards improving longer, more structured sketches too. --- Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree totally! Doing these small, quick sketches teaches me to hone in on larger compositions more quickly.

      - Tina

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...