Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Out of Space

8/23/16 brush pen, colored pencils, Zig marker
Last week on a morning sketchabout, I spotted a cute Vespa in the ‘hood. I sketched it in my red Field Notes. Even on a full-page spread (which, granted, is only 5 ½ by 7 inches), I managed to run out of space for the front wheel.

The very next day, driving through the Green Lake neighborhood, I spotted an orange Stella scooter. I pulled over immediately to sketch it, this time in my Stillman & Birn. I don’t know why, but I started drawing the rearview mirrors near the middle of the page – so I nearly ran out of space again when I got to the wheels! It’s one of my ongoing sketching challenges – I don’t always plan the composition carefully on the page.

8/22/16 LePen brush pen, white Gelly Roll

2 comments:

  1. Good sketches. I sometimes have at same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your scooters. The one on red paper was simply going places :-) That said, working 'outside->in' as Marc Holmes calls it is the solution. If you identify the subject edges before you start drawing, this problem disappears.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...