Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Madrona

1/14/15 various inks, watercolor, Museum water-soluble
colored pencils, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
Madrona (arbutus) trees retain some of their leaves year-round. I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t know this (or notice this) fact until just now, when I Googled for a bit of information about the red-barked tree that is ubiquitous in (and native to) these parts.

All I knew was that I’d passed this tree in my neighborhood many times, noting its hacked away shape for a future sketch. This afternoon as I sketched it, I realized that the tips of its branches were foliated. Unfortunately, I didn’t capture its lopsided shape accurately; the cut-away area on the left is actually much larger. I’ll go back another time to sketch it again. In the middle of January, though, I found it comforting to sketch a tree still hanging onto its leaves.

(Note the blue sky and long shadows! We’re having a short sun break this week before rain returns tomorrow.)

P.S. Heres a funny observation about sketching on the subway!

1 comment:

  1. Great sketch of the tree with foliage! Love, love the link about sketching on the subway...some of it is so true. lol I'll have to send that link to Mark (if you didn't send it to him) and post it on the NYC Urban Sketchers blog & Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...