Monday, April 21, 2014

Queen Anne Neighborhood

4/21/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi and Diamine Sargasso Sea inks, Zig markers, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
The weatherman kept saying rain was expected today, but the comfortable temperature and patches of blue between clouds made me bold. I popped the top down and cruised up to Queen Anne Hill for one of my favorite views of the Space Needle and the downtown skyline from Highland Drive.

The sky was getting bluer by the minute, so I took a detour before heading home to sketch Bethany Presbyterian Church on Queen Anne Avenue. It was actually the steeple – somewhat hidden by a tree – that had initially caught my attention, so I drove around the sides and back of the church, trying to find a better view. It turned out that the obstructed view from the front was still the best, so I included the front elevation (and, of course, the tree in the way). Drawing the arches and other Gothic details instantly brought me back to the Köln Cathedral in Germany as well as many buildings in Barcelona. Today, as then, I channeled my inner Inma (Serrano) to try to bring the building to life.

4/21/14 Platinum Carbon, Diamine Chocolate Brown and Diamine Grey inks, Zig markers, Canson 140 lb. paper

2 comments:

  1. The skyline came out great but the one of the church came out really well. I love your perfect shading on the building and good lines for the architecture. Super!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're starting our rain-dodging period in Quebec, too. Love your skyline sketch. The color seems to be in just the right places.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...