Saturday, March 29, 2014

Sketcher in Residence, Part 2

3/29/14 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Zig markers, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
Today was my second of three times that I’m participating in the Museum of History and Industry’s Urban Sketcher in Residence program. Today was also Drawn to Seattle Family Day in celebration of Gabi Campanario’s “Drawn to Seattle” exhibition. Kids had an opportunity to make their own sketchbooks, get their caricatures drawn and, of course, sketch with me in the gallery sketching area.

3/29/14 Platinum Carbon and Iroshizuku Kiri-Same inks, watercolor,
Zig marker, opaque white pen, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
I was hoping the day would be dry and warm enough to sketch outdoors, but it was wet and windy as usual. But I got to the museum early anyway, wanting to get in as much sketching time as possible. My first sketch was of Slo-mo-shun 2, the hydroplane suspended from the ceiling over the main floor gallery. During an early lunch at MOHAI’s Compass Café, I sketched the Virginia V moored on Lake Union right outside my window. (I couldn’t have asked for a better view, even if I’d been outdoors!) Just as I was about to put away my paints, she belched a big cloud of dark smoke!

3/29/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
My favorite sketch of the day was of Dexter Rothchild, AKA Dexterius, a young man who was doing free caricatures of kids. It was impressive to watch him use a bold black marker (from the smell, I’m guessing it was a Copic) to identify each child’s distinguishing features – usually hair, eyes and facial shape – and exaggerate them to create a fun caricature. He was entertaining and quick enough to keep the kids from getting bored as he drew them. I’m not as good as he is at capturing a likeness, but I’m just as fast: I sketched both him and his subject in almost the time it took him to finish one caricature. (But I gotta hand it to him – I wouldn’t want to have to sketch on demand the way he did, with a long line of kids all waiting their turn!)
3/29/14 Iroshizuku Take-Sumi ink, Strathmore 400 140 lb. paper
3/29/14 Iroshizuku Take-Sumi ink, Strathmore 400 140 lb. paper

3/29/14 Private Reserve Velvet Black ink
During my gig in the sketching area while interacting with visitors, I sketched the Space Needle in pen and ink. I’ve sketched numerous views of the Needle, but this may be one of my favorites. I like the simplicity of monochrome ink (and I think I finally got the Needle’s proportions right). I also sketched a couple of the many kids who came by to participate. The girl on the bench, about seven years old, came to show me all of her excellent drawings. I’m always inspired by the lack of inhibition and pride of young artists!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You had a full day of sketching...and what a variety of subjects. I love the one of the ship moored outside the window...lucky selection of a spot to sit. Great people sketches too. Isn't it great that kids have so few inhibitions when they are young...why can't it carry over in life? Thanks for sharing your day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...