Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Second Year of Blogging

11/5/12
As a city girl, documenting flowers and leaves is not really my thing, but I still find the hand-illustrated nature journals of others delightful. Published nature journals such as The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden and the contemporary A Life In Hand: Creating the Illuminated Journal by Hannah Hinchman were inspiring to me even before I began sketching.

4/1/13
My urban sketchbook is not what I would call a nature journal in any way, nor do I use it to systematically record natural events. But because I sketch something every day, over the course of time, my sketchbook does tend to document the patterns of nature by default. Now that I’ve been sketching for two-and-a-half years, I’m already seeing the cyclical repetitions. If I’m curious about when the cherry trees were in full bloom last year, all it takes is a quick scan through my sketchbook of that period (or, even easier, through my blog). When I compare the sketches of the same stand of maples at Green Lake in the fall, I see that they lost their leaves much earlier in the season last year compared to 2012. Sketches of
4/29/13
neighborhood trees in all seasons,
the returning mergansers, a brood of young geese, beachcombers during the year’s lowest low tide – they’re all things I’ll likely sketch again and again, year after year.

Two years ago today, Fueled by Clouds & Coffee went live. I could hardly say that my blog is in any way similar to the diary of an Edwardian lady. But like Edith Holden’s journal, my blog has become a record of happenings in a tiny part of the world as observed by one person. I thoroughly enjoy sharing those observations, and if you enjoy them too, then that’s a bonus.
8/27/13

Thanks for reading! And onward to another year of blogging.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 2-year birthday, Tina. It sounds like we started sketching about the same time. May we both continue to enjoy life as sketchers :-)

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! I'm looking forward to whatever sketching adventures are ahead!

      Delete
  2. Happy Blogiversary!!! It is fun to see your sketches on a daily basis and it is also fun to see you return to some of the locations you've been to before. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for being such a loyal reader, Joan!

      Delete
  3. Happy be-lated Blogversary! I mised commenting on the 2nd anniversary of my first sketch outing last month!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...