Saturday, September 7, 2013

Marymoor Park

9/7/13 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, 140 lb. paper




9/7/13 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, 100 lb. paper
Since we’d already paid our toll to get across the 520 bridge to the Bellevue Arts Museum, we decided to keep going east and spend the afternoon at Marymoor Park. Host to outdoor concerts, a popular off-leash dog park (with a dog wash nearby!) and playfields, this huge park is also home to the historic Clise Mansion. Apparently Mr. Clise, a Seattle banker, built the park’s iconic windmill on his property, but the windmill has never been functional.

The composition I had in mind when I started this sketch of the windmill included a gnarly old tree nearby (you can see a bit of it on the left side), but as often happens with my sketches, I ran out of space. So I decided to devote a couple of sketches to the tree itself from different angles.
9/7/13 water-soluble pencil, Diamine Grey ink, 100 lb. paper

3 comments:

  1. Good sketches. I especially like that gnarly tree!
    --Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the windmill especially the blades which are not easy to do in perspective. I don't blame you for doing a few sketches of the gnarly tree...it has lots of character. Nice sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that tree, I wish people wouldn't try to climb it. It's old! It's called a camperdown elm tree.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...