Sunday, October 13, 2024

Sunset Hill Cherries in October

 

10/7/24 cherry trees, Sunset Hill neighborhood

You’ve seen my sketches of the Sunset Hill cherry trees many times. I visit every spring, and sometimes I bring along USk Seattle to sketch with me. After sketching the site of the Loyal Heights tree that had been taken down, I realized that Sunset Hill was only a short walk away. It also occurred to me that I had never seen those trees except when they were blossoming, even though I know that cherries turn in the fall. (Although it’s not quite as popular as springtime hanami, the Japanese do revere cherries even in autumn. I took part in their joy in Kyoto years ago.) On a gorgeous afternoon, it was high time to make a fall visit.

Unlike the blooming time, which seems to happen on the whole street at once, the foliage follow their own drumbeat. Most of the trees on the block were still mostly green, but I found one leading the way. While pink blossoms take all the glory, leaves have a quieter time to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...