Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Smoky Lake (and Secondary Additions)

 

10/14/22 Green Lake

Have I mentioned how tiresome the smoke is? We had a brief reprieve, and then it was back to an “unhealthy” rating again. On another otherwise gorgeous day, I stopped briefly at Green Lake to peep some leaves. The red sweet gums in the distance are the same ones I have sketched close-up in previous years, but I knew that composition would take longer to do. On smoky Friday, I settled for this distant view that I knew I could do quickly.

Two additions to my secondary triad palette

Palette notes: I’ve been feeling that the basic secondary triad I’ve been carrying in my fitness-walking bag isn’t pulling its weight. To the warm orange (Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelle 030), warm green (Museum Aquarelle Light Olive 245) and Kalour Heather Purple Deep (058), I added two cool hues: Museum Aquarelle Dark Sap Green (739) and Museum Aquarelle Crimson Aubergine (599), which is a very dark reddish-purple. I wanted to stay within a secondary palette while widening my range of options. I especially wanted to fill the red gap I was feeling, which I think Crimson Aubergine will do.

All colors are Caran d'Ache except W058, which is Kalour. 

One thing I’m learning from this fall’s secondary experiments is that it does help to have a warm and a cool of each of the three basic hues.
My larger sketch bag includes exactly that range, and I haven’t felt a need to supplement it; in fact, I’m pleased by how well it is meeting my needs. Let’s see if the two colors I’ve added to my walking bag will do the same.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are adding the additional colors. Autumn colors are here for a short time. It would be a shame not to be able to give them their due!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! And now that we're in for some good rain, my leaf-peeping days may be numbered.

      Delete
  2. you know I'm swooning over the semi-like foreground branches! You have moved them into focus without overstating the branches. Anne HwH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was wondering if you'd see them as sumi-like!

      Delete
    2. Grateful that you were able to correctly interpret "semi". How did that slip through? Anne

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...