Monday, September 27, 2021

Zoo with Friends

 

9/23/21 Flamingo, Woodland Park Zoo
When I saw that the weather forecast was for sunshine last Thursday, I decided to go back to the zoo, and this time I invited a few sketcher friends to join me. We all know that our outdoor-sketching days are numbered, and I, for one, am trying to grab any opportunity I can.

Since I was there just a couple of weeks ago, I went out looking for animals that I missed last time. One of my favorite exhibits is the African Savanna, where giraffes, zebras and ostriches roam around. They aren’t always close enough to see easily, but I try to treat zoo sketching like studio life drawing and focus on the gestures more than the details.

Giraffe


Female lion

Ostrich and zebra

Zebra


I love the Visayan warty pig. With a long snout ringed by a white stripe, it’s adorable (for a wild pig).

Visayan warty pig

Napping peacock

In addition to an ostrich, I sketched a couple of other large, showy birds: a peacock and a flamingo (top of page). I couldn’t get the peacock to display for me; in fact, he was dozing off near some bushes, but that made for easy sketching. The flamingo was more challenging, and I was annoyed that I had removed my pink pencil from my sketch kit shortly after cherry blossom season ended. The color isn’t right, but I made do with a mix of magenta and red.

I wonder if I can squeeze in one more trip to the zoo before the weather goes bad. . .

1 comment:

  1. How fun that you were able to make another visit. Hopefully you will have some good weather and be able to return to the zoo before the weather turns wintry.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...