Saturday, April 10, 2021

Petal Peeping at its Peak

 

4//6/21 Sunset Hill neighborhood

My favorite petal-peeping neighborhood is Sunset Hill. The aged, ornamental cherries not only have spectacularly pink blossoms in spring; they also have trunks and roots with so much character that I drew them in my graphite class. My annual petal-peeping tour would not be complete without a stop there.

A few days ago they were at peak. I knew I had sketched the same tree and resident car a year ago (exactly to the day, in fact) – and three years ago, too! Although there are other places to park, this composition seems to call to me.

2 comments:

  1. You can see your progress in sketching these trees from one year to the next. This year's version really captures the gnarled look of the trunks as well as the fullness of the tree canopies. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan! I enjoy sketching the same trees year after year to see how my approach changes, and also to track how their blossoming date changes. If I didn't sketch them, I'd never remember when they bloomed in prior years!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...