Friday, October 11, 2013

6 Arms

10/11/13 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen,
Strathmore 400 140 lb. paper
Lynne invited the Friday sketchers to sketch in her ‘hood at 6 Arms, a McMenamins pub on Capitol Hill. Well lighted with huge windows, the décor is Hindu-goddess-(with six arms)-meets-thrift-store-chandeliers, and we ate it up (along with our sandwiches and salads).

After scarfing down my yummy grilled smoked mozzarella cheese sandwich, I warmed up with a sketch of the goddess mascot, mounted high up on one wall. I was almost done with the sketch when I noticed I had missed one arm! Luckily, I still had space on the left side of the page.

Once the lunch crowd had thinned, I moved to a different table so that I could sketch Nilda and Lynne. I don’t usually break out watercolors in restaurants or coffee shops, not wanting to out-sketch my welcome, but Lynne assured us she has painted at 6 Arms many times, so I gave it a shot with this couple in a sunny booth. (Yes, sun! After a drizzly morning, the sun finally appeared briefly.)

With many interesting artifacts to sketch as well as good food, we decided 6 Arms is a keeper! We’ll be back.

10/11/13 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen,
Canson Montval 140 lb. paper
10/11/13 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Strathmore 400

2 comments:

  1. Nice sketches, Tina. I'm sort of surprised that they'd name a place '6 arms' and represent it with Kali as her most common depiction is with 10 arms :-) Lucky for you they did as it's probably confusing enough sketching six of them.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not everyone can say they sketched a goddess! lol Nice job on the wall decoration and your friends. Looks like a fun spot to return to.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...