Friday, January 18, 2013

Leather Jacket

1/18/13 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Zig markers, Stillman & Birn Gamma sketchbook

Yesterday at Gage’s life drawing open studio, one of the participants was saying he rarely gets practice drawing clothed people because most of his figure-drawing experience comes from the nude model. Drawing bare skin is so much easier, he said, than drawing all the folds and creases of clothing.

I’m the other way around – I have more experience sketching clothed coffee shop patrons than nude models. Still, I agree with him that capturing the folds and creases in clothing is one of the many challenges of drawing people (though maybe not necessarily harder than bare skin, which I find dang difficult). A young man at Zoka wearing a leather jacket gave me an ideal opportunity to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...