![]() |
| 8/16/26 Self-portrait from mirror |
Roy texted us a self-portrait he had made that morning. He challenged
Mary Jean and me to make self-portraits by the end of the day for Selfie Sunday
(which I guess is a thing, as I’ve long seen the hashtag, but I’ve never
participated).
The last time I made a self-portrait, I had treated myself like a dog. I decided to do the same again, but this time I used a brush pen. Unusual for a self-portrait, I like this one, even with the severe selfie scowl.

This is great! I can’t believe you did it with a brush pen!
ReplyDeleteLots of practice with dogs! ;-)
DeleteIt's more the concentrating sketcher look. Nicely done with the brush pen.
ReplyDeleteThanks! People always say I should smile in my selfies, but that's too much work. ;-)
DeleteI feel, perhaps wrongly, that it is your choice of lost (and found) lines that makes this self portrait more appealing and less grim than others. It is so spare in what is revealed that my mind fills in the rest most pleasingly. Anne HwH
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks, Anne! I hadn't really thought of that, but you're right. And drawing less rather than more is always my goal, so I guess I was successful in that way!
DeleteOoo - I like this one too, and that it includes the sketchbook and pen. Just had to renew my driver's license and when it came time for a photo, I was told I could smile but not show teeth. My last photo was not the best (whose is?) with not much of a hint of smile. I determined to do better and thought I was indeed smiling just a bit. When the temporary license paperwork was handed to me, the pictured showed not a Mona Lisa portrait but a grumpy old lady - lol! Your sketch doesn't strike me as showing a scowl, just intense focus and I'd take that on my driver's license any day. :-)
ReplyDeleteSmile but without showing teeth... what a bizarre requirement! That would feel unnatural to me, since I rarely smile without my teeth showing. So, basically, they are setting us up to take an unflattering, unnatural photo. :-)
Delete